We can’t imagine a life without air conditioners at home or office in Singapore where the average weather is hot, humid and often rather oppressive. We run air conditioners day and night to keep ourselves cool from the tropical climate. At once, buying an air conditioner is relatively a big investment decision for an average household, and therefore keeping it functioning properly for a longer period of time is the only means to gain an acceptable return on your investment.
Here we will discuss ways to extend the lifespan of your conditioner and run it as long as possible.
- Proper installation – You need to get this right! Poor installation will lead to recurring problems like low cooling, noise generation, water leakage etc in future. Hire an expert to install the air conditioner to avoid such problems. A professional technician has the knowledge and experience to advise you on choosing the most suitable air conditioner and also install it the way it is supposed to be. Contact us for assistance on purchasing and installing air conditioners for home and office.
- Use your air conditioner less – The wisest thing to prolong the lifespan of your air conditioners is to use them less. It might come across as the most contradicting of statements you have ever read. What we meant is to use them judiciously. You could use a smart thermostat to control the temperature. When you go out of the house, either turn off the air conditioner or turn the temperature up and turn it down once you are back home. This not only saves energy but also reduces natural wear and tear of the equipment. During cooler, breezy nights, sleep with windows open and use the air conditioner for fewer hours.
- Keep it cool – Keep your air conditioner unit under the shade. Sunlight falling directly on the unit will increase its temperature. What it means is the air conditioner will have to work so much more to keep the surroundings cooler. In the long run it will reduce the lifespan of the unit. Use a sun shade high above the unit to keep it running efficiently for a longer period of time.
- Regular maintenance – Annual or quarterly maintenance of air conditioners is a must as recommended by experts for its efficiency, performance and longevity. A professional air conditioner technician will perform the following during the maintenance activity:
- Clean clogged air filter to prevent evaporating coil from soiling
- Purify the air ducts and vents from dirt and deposited debris
- Clean blower fan wheel
- Check the refrigerant level and top-up gas if necessary
- Cleaning filters, evaporator coils, and condenser using chemical solution
- Check for faulty or damaged parts for replacement
- Test airflow across indoors and outdoors coils
Contract Maintenance Service
The average lifespan of an air conditioner is 10 years. However, regular maintenance will further extend its lifespan by another 2-3 years and let it perform efficiently longer than the estimated shelf life. To keep your air conditioners in good shape sign up for contract maintenance on the Sendhelper app at attractive prices.