After a long day at work or school, coming home to lounge on the sofa feels like absolute bliss.
However, not cleaning the sofa properly turns it from a place of comfort to a breeding ground for bacteria and other germs. Here are some tips to care for the sofa at home appropriately!
1. Locate the sofa away from the window
Sunlight can react with photo-sensitive pigments in sofas. This results in a change of colour over time, which isn't always reversible. Furthermore, there may be incidences of rain affecting the sofa if the window is not closed properly. These stains cannot be cleaned easily. As such, it is advisable to place the sofa from a distance away from the window.
2. Read the label
Understand the characteristics of the fabric before cleaning. The codes shown on labels indicate how different fabric should be cleaned. The following are the breakdown for codes on fabric labels:
- W – This indicates water can be used to clean the fabric.
- WS – A dry cleaning detergent or mild detergent and steam vacuum can be used
- X – No water, vacuum only
- S – Clean with dry cleaner detergent
3. Clean the sofa consistently
Consistency is key in maintaining upholstery in good shape. If the vacuum at home has an upholstery function, vacuum the sofa weekly along with other cleaning chores. Remember to vacuum the corners and lift up the seating (if possible) to clean the base of the sofa. If the couch at home is made of leather, consider wiping it with a damp cloth regularly.
Make cleaning the sofa a weekly activity at the very least. Not cleaning sofas consistently makes it difficult to clean after a long time. Consequently, the accumulated dirt will affect our health.
4. Treat stains immediately
If something spills on the sofa, clean it immediately lest the stain sets. Additionally, check the sofa once daily for stains which have gone unnoticed through the day. Here are points to note when cleaning the stains:
- Wipe spills with a paper towel or dry cloth as soon as the spill happens. Do not make rubbing motions. Instead, blot the liquid out.
- If the stain cannot be removed with a dry cloth, use a water-based cleaner to remove the stain. However, do a patch test of the cleaner in an inconspicuous corner of the sofa to see if the cleaner works with the fabric. Doing so prevents complication of the stain.
- However, do not try to clean oil-based stains as this might cause a bigger stain. Oil-based stains are more complex to remove and would require deep cleaning services to remove.
- Baking soda is not the solution to all stains. There are many stain removing tips on the internet which suggests baking soda for removing stains. However, the effectiveness of baking soda is dependent on what kind of stain it is and how long has the stain been set in the upholstery for. If these factors are not clear, it is better to consult a professional to help with the cleaning of your upholstery.
Cleaning and caring for our sofas are not easy tasks. However, there are professional cleaning services available in Singapore which can help you clean your sofas. Available on iOS App Store and Android Play Store, Sendhelper is a platform which allows you to book professional home cleaning, deep cleaning, sofa cleaning, mattress cleaning and other such services in Singapore at an affordable price and at your own convenience.